First Birding Day in Ten Days

12/17/14
Finally felt well enough for a bird walk this morning--it's been ten days.  What a waste as I fly back to Southern California on the 20th.   I wondered if I haven't had a mild case of dengue fever, but Gene scoffs at the idea; something made me too weak to do almost anything. Anyway, went out today for a short walk and got another bird for the Barra List; and a lifer for me.
I was walking and glanced up to see a Kingbird with a very large black insect in its bill.  To me 'Kingbird' means Tropical Kingbird.  They are common everyday birds here, as they were in Panama. I put my bins down and was getting ready to scan where I heard some chatter when I realized that it wasn't only the bug that was big. The bill was big.  The bird was big. Several things weren't right.  I put the bins back up and the bird was still there.  Definitely not a Tropical Kingbird.  I remembered that there was something other than a Boat-billed Flycatcher with a big bill and figured this was it. When I got back to Peregrine, I got out the book and had a very easy ID:  Thick-billed Kingbird. 
Took a bunch of shots of the Thick-billed and they were all crappy.  I wanted to put one up, so I took the best of the worst and sharpened and highlighted. 
My Barra de Navidad list is near the top of the blog under 'Pages' for anyone who wants to see possibilities for the area.  I have not even taken a panga or dinghy trip to the end of the lagoon--that would be an interesting day.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sue,
    For some reason your latest post isn't showing when I go to your blog. I see that you wrote a new post a few days ago on my blog list, though!
    Nick

    ReplyDelete