Barra Butterflies 2


The closest I could come was Montezuma's Cattleheart (Parides Montezuma), but mine doesn't seem to have red on the whole body like the photos of Montezuma's I found, and mine has red dots while the Montezuma's I looked at had larger, almost 'c' shaped orange marks. Here is a link to one (and a much better photo than mine!:
http://www.richard-seaman.com/Wallpaper/Nature/Butterflies/Swallowtails/SwallowtailAtCacahuamilpa.jpg
and another:
http://butterfliesofamerica.com/parides_montezuma_live1.htm
Maybe this is the female and those are males or vice-versa.
                                                                 Tropical Skipper

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sue,
    The best I can come up with for the swallowtail is the Pink-spotted Swallowtail, Papilio pharnaces. It isn't 100%, but the wing shape is good, the dots on the body match and the general pattern is pretty close. I think it all depends on how variable the colours and size of the dots are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Sue,
      I wouldn't take my attempts to identify them as gospel! I enjoy the challenge of trying to identify butterflies, but I'm no expert.

      Delete
  3. I'll bet you know the names of the body parts. ;) I haven't double checked this one yet, but I'm sure you were spot on with the Four-spotted Sailor.

    ReplyDelete