Pale-billed Woodpecker

November 30, 2014


Pale-billed Woodpecker, a lifer I was really happy to get.  I didn't think I would be lucky enough to see it before sailing out of range.
While Trudi, the Canadian birdwatcher was here, she arranged for a driver from the hotel to drive us up to the highest point of the hotel road.  I'd never even thought of that, and I still won't ask because I am a lowly boat person and not a hotel guest.  We do have hotel privileges to some degree, but asking for a driver to drop me off to bird might be considered impertinent.  I consider it impertinent.
 
Not long after we got out of the van, we saw two parrots fly over--squawking loudly of course. The most prominent thing about them were bright yellow heads--we both clearly saw that. The only parrots with bright yellow heads around here are Yellow-headed Parrots, an endangered species.  Unfortunately, I thought I saw longish tails and narrowish pointy wings and thought I was seeing parakeets of some kind at the time.  I would love to just tick the Yellow-headed and tell myself it had to be that because there are not parakeets with bright yellow heads here or anywhere else in Mexico that I can find.  Most logically, we saw the Yellow-headed, but with parrots, you never know what escapees might be out there.  Anyway, I wanted to walk the road again in hopes of seeing the parrots. I have walked the road twice now and no luck.
 
We were talking about woodpeckers at one point and she told me she had seen the Pale-billed at the golf course here on the peninsula.  I did not have that in mind when I set out for my walk, so I was really happy to see one. It turns out that I did see another at the golf course when I got there.  I can't believe you can see a bird like this at a golf course! 

On the first walk,  I finally confirmed a Zone-tailed Hawk I had first seen weeks ago. When saw it, it was engaged a weird aerial dance with a Crested Caracara. They didn't seem adversarial at all. It was kind of like, "Hey, I can do that descent, too.", and together they spiraled down for a short time.  I happened to see this dance at the same time I saw my first Zone-tailed Hawk and the first Crested Caracara I'd seen in Mexico.  My eyes went to the Caracara first in acknowledgment of a bird I have seen fairly often in the past.  My mind must have thought at first it was two Caracaras so it came as a bit of a surprise when I noticed the other raptor was something different.  I clearly saw the black and white stripping on the underwings and then they were split up and were up over the ridge. When I came back to Peregrine and went through my books, I figured it had to be a Zone-tailed.  I have kept my eyes out for it since then and was better informed about what to look for and what else it might be.  It was good to see it well today and add it to my life list. 
 
The road is a bit steep going up from the marina, levels off, then drops in a long down hill stretch.  Coming up was a bit tough for this old bird.  It's a gorgeous walk though and if I take my time, which I do while birding, it is not too onerous. Young and/or people in shape would have no problem at all with this walk.  My first time, I walked to where the road ends at a round-about that gives you the options of going to the beach, the golf course, the little town of Colimilla or exiting out to the highway.  I turned around and went back on the same way as I was nearly out of water and I had no idea how circuitous the way back was. I knew the long haul uphill was going to be a bit tough, but I also knew where I was going.  The second time, I took the road that goes to Colimilla.
 
Here is a Google Map of the area.  If you click to enlarge, you can see my notations about where the hotel is, the Golf Club House is, and where Colimilla is.
Above:  The first walk route. 
 
Blue was the proposed route for the second walk. I never made it to the beach.  I cut off where the red line starts and went home that way.
Gene went with me on the second walk.  However, he gets bored hanging around while I bird, so I told him to go at his own pace.  We decided we would go to the beach on the other side of the peninsula from the hotel.  A fellow cruiser walks this road every day and he said the beach walk is good. Gene was on his way back from the beach about the time I got the round-about.  I heard some weird calls from a small marshy area on the golf course so I decided to go check it out rather than go the beach route.  Gene went home ahead of me, but took the same route home.  We guestimate about 4 miles total.
I think this is enough for one post, I'll post about birds seen in the next post. To be truthful, it's 5:30 and time to go have a cocktail on the beach and visit with our friends. For over a week it was the same four friends:  Bob, the Spotted Sandpiper.  Will, the Willet. Bill the Whimbrel. John Snow, the Snowy Egret. And last but not least, Blaze, the Vermillion Flycatcher.  This past week we have gotten several more regulars:  Blue Heron, Belted Kingfisher and Great Egret. Don't know their names yet.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sue,
    It sounds like you are having a great time. I love the woodpecker. It's interesting seeing the walks you have done. They remind me of the sort of thing I would do on holiday when I am looking for butterflies. My wife doesn't enjoy walking with me as I keep stopping to take pictures of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nick,
      I really am enjoying this place. It's not the isolated place that the jungle in Panama was, but that can be a good thing. I am working on a butterfly post. It will probably be a few days before I put it up. There are some great butterflies here. I haven't had time to ID them all, but I post them anyway.

      Delete