Last Birding Day in San Lorenzo National Park

Feb. 8 2013
We are scheduled to go through the canal next Wednesday and I will be shopping, cleaning and organizing for the transit and beyond, so today was my last long birding day here. Frank, the dockmaster, drove Glyn and me to Fort San Lorenzo and we walked the 9K back. We were out from 6:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and came back hot, tired and foot-sore, but it was a great walk and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm having an oldtimers moment and I've forgotten; Why are we leaving Panama?
I was able to match a few more birds with their calls.  I got excellent views of a Long-billed Gnatwren and watched while it trilled away. I have only seen quick peeks of this bird and I was thrilled to see it so well.  I also indentified the 'owl' calls I heard once before in the same area;  Rufous Motmot.  He was perched in from the road about 30 feet and it took me awhile to find him through the trees.  He called often and was answered by another bird farther in.  Luckily for me he called long enough for me to locate him.  He was on a bare branch and I tried to video him and the calls, but for some reason the 'hoos' didn't come up on the video.  He was also behind so much stuff, I only got blurry shots of him as he swung his long, raquet-tipped tail back and forth like a metronome, and flipped himself from facing toward me to turning his back. What a great bird this is.

We also got two new butterflies.
Ruddy Daggerwing
Marpesia petreus
Many-banded Daggerwing
Marpesia chiron
I know I saw the Tiny Hawk as it flew into the forest from a perch next to the road, but I didn't see it well enough to put it on my life list.  I saw movement as it left its perch and I locked onto it as flew with open wings into the forest. All I saw was the birds' back and the top of very small gray accipter wings. I am so bummed I didn't see it perched, I was this close and I have been in the area three times looking for it.  I can't think of what else it could have been.  The sighting was at the end of our walk at 3:45.  It's close to the marina and I want to get out today at the same time and see if I can get lucky.
 
Today's bird list:
Black Vulture
Gray-breasted Martins
Yellow-tailed Oriole
Red-crowned Woodpecker
Short-billed Pigeon
White-shouldered Tanager
A small bat
Mealy Parrots
Scarlett-rumped Caciques
Yellow-headed Caracara
Bright-rumped Attilas (heard)
Common Black-hawk
Bay Wrens
Prothonotary Warbler
Great Kiskadees
Social Flycatchers
Western Slaty Antshrikes
Black-cheeked Woodpeckers
Black-breasted Puffbird
Keelbilled Toucan
Big Woody--either Crimson-crested or Lineated
Brown Pelican
Great Blue Heron
Greater Ani
Tropical Kingbird
Spotted Sandpiper
Chestnut-mandibled Toucan
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Cocoa Woodcreeper
Crested Oropendola
Red-throated Ant-tanager
Rufous Motmot
White-shouldered Tanager
Plain xenops
Checker-throated Antwren
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Lesser Greenlets
Dusky-capped Flycatcher
Sapphire-throated Hummingbird
Shining Honeycreeper
Southern Rough-winged Swallow
Anhinga
Turkey Vultures
Panama Flycatcher
Chestnut-headed Oropendola
Palm Tanager
Yellow-rumped Cacique
Dot-winged Antwren
Plain-brown Woodcreeper
Blues Dacnis
White-tailed Trogon
Tiny Hawk??
Magnificent Frigatebird
White-tipped Dove
Blue-gray Tanager
Thick-billed Euphonia
Osprey
Tropical Mockingbird
Great-tailed Grackles
Anhinga hanging out on the banks of the Chagres.
Tropical Mockingbird

No comments:

Post a Comment