So Much Life!

January 5, 2013
I've only been back in Panama for nine days and I am already falling behind on what I'd like to post. On the same morning I went to check out the San Lorenzo road closure, I did a little walking along the road near Playa Diablo. It was a beautiful morning and I breathed in the jungle as I scanned and listened. I found a butterfly I hadn't seen before.  It's a skipper and I think it could be a Vettius chagres.  The only image of one I could find on the net was a murdered one and the colors were faded.  I'm not sure if this is a chagres or another Vettius, but pretty sure it is a Vettius.  I'll post it on Bird Forum ( http://www.birdforum.net/ )and see if someone can give me a positive ID.
Until I hear differently, I will post it here as a possible Vettius chagres.
I was able to get a couple of shots of a Gray-headed Tanager, which was a good thing.  I dropped my last laptop and my hard drive is dead--all the pictures I didn't transfer to Picassa or post on the blog are gone. I needed some of the tanagers and most likely of the Bicolored Antbird also. Four Gray-headed Tanagers and the Bicolored Antbird were hunting together and were a lot of fun to watch.

Horribly Beautiful
Juvenile Little Blue Heron
Heard much more often than seen:  Short-billed Pigeon.  I think its call sounds like, "Who dropped the ball?"

2 comments:

  1. I love your bird blog and your photos!! I need lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracias, Sunrise. Good to hear from you. We hope you are enjoying NZ. Did you say hello to our ducks for me? You don't need lessons--I saw all those rare little gems you got in the Societies!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete