A Little Night Driving


July 2, 2012
I have the use of a car!  The Crew of Jedi left us the keys to their car while they do a road trip in the US.  I'm mobile!  Today I went to Kennedy Loop, up San Lorenzo Road to the Park HDQ. and over to the dam to see if I could find the Great Potoo again. He was not perched on the tree I found him in last April (the last time I had a car).  I came back after dark and had to dodge crabs in the road which could have been the reason the Canal Authority guys pulled me over. I had to answer a few questions and open the car doors to show the inside of the car and they waved me on.  I saw a Common Pauraque in the road and slowly followed it as it flew ahead, landed on the road, and flew ahead again as I came up.  He would sit on the road then fly/jump straight up and come back down.  As I crept up, he would fly ahead and repeat the process. I saw a few frogs and cane toads going across the road.

The White-tailed Trogons had an immature bird with them and I heard the cutetest sounds from the nest, so they have at least one nestling. I will keep an eye on them and see what develops.

Today's Bird List:
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
American Kestrel (3)
Yellow-headed Caracara
Pale-vented Pigeon
Mealy Parrots
Greater Ani
Smooth-billed Ani
Common Pauraque
White-tailed Trogon
Ringed Kingfisher
Black-cheeked Woodpecker
Lineated Woodpecker
Common Tody-flycatcher
Great Kiskadee
Social Flycatcher
Streaked Flycatcher
Tropical Kingbird
Gray-breasted Martin
Barn Swallow
Black-chested Jay
Bay Wren
Tropical Mockingbird
Lesser Greenlet
Plain-colored Tanager
Shining Honey-creeper
Blue-gray Tanager
Palm Tanager
Crimson-backed Tanager
Variable Seedeater
Great-tailed Grackle
Yellow-backed Oriole
Crested-Oropendola

No comments:

Post a Comment