Wood Peewee Arrives

Started walk at 10:45, 91.9 F, 90% cloud cover, 3-6 knots wind.  For my walk today, I went to the area near the hard-stand where I first saw the Empidonax last fall.  I thought it might return to the same area.  Not there (yet). It was hot and still so I decided to walk around the hard-stand, then head toward the beach. These areas are open and the slight breeze felt great.  I figured the birds would find it more comfortable too. I saw a Yellow-bellied Seedeater. I've only seen one once before and that was in the same area on March 7, 2011. 
There is a mangrove on one side of the hard-stand and I poked around in there for a short time and found a female Sapphire-throated Hummingbird. She appeared to be young because she did not have all the green color on her back and head she should have. She was a willing subject for photos:
I left the hard-stand and headed toward the beach. I saw a flycatcher sitting on the curled barbed wire that tops the chainlink fence around the lighthouse. I thought Peewee right away and decided it was once I got my bins on it (maybe the flycatcher I saw yesterday?). I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't an Empid, but maybe it's a harbinger? I have labeled the photos as a Wood Peewee because San Lorenzo has both the Eastern and the Western and this bird did not call. My thinking is Eastern for several reasons; Yellow lower mandible, even wing bars, pale coloration with olive tint. However; there is often an However in bird identification. However, during spring migration...I will post a link to this National Geographic article and you will see what I mean: 


 I still think Eastern, but I am not an expert and would not list this bird in this instance.  Fortunately (unlike the Empids), I have both the Eastern and Western on my life list already.
I have seen Easterns here quite a few times calling away.  I wonder if a quiet, darker bird I saw in November, 2010, might not have been a Western.  It hung out a little lower than I usually see the Easterns. Here is a photo (not that THAT does any good ;)):
Notice the lower mandible is darker except at the base, and the lower wing bar looks slightly wider than the upper and the whole birds appears a little darker.

Today's Bird List (in order I saw--it's late and I'm too lazy to put in taxonomic order):
Gray-breasted Martins
Great Kiskadees
Great-tailed Grackles
Black Vultures
Blue-gray Tanagers
Thick-billed Euphonias
Yellow-green Vireo
Streaked Flycatcher
House Wren
Yellow-bellied Elaenia (heard)
Common Black Hawk
Agouti (that scared the **** out of me (again) when it shrieked as we came upon each other too quietly)
Variable Seedeater
Tropical Mockingbird
Panama Flycatcher
Yellow-bellied Seedeater
Red-crowned Woody
Short-tailed Swifts
Tropical Kingbirds
Social Flycatchers
distant--Southern Rough-winged Swallows????
Yellow Warbler
Sapphire-throated Hummingbird
Cocoa Woodcreeper
Barn Swallows (over the breakwater to Limon Bay--about a dozen)
Magnificent Frigatebird
Mangrove Swallow

No comments:

Post a Comment