Migrating Thrushes in Panama

April 4, 2012
I went out at 8:00 this morning and headed straight for the tree I saw the thrush in yesterday.  I thought that the light might be better and I might be able to ID the bird.  There were birds causing me distraction, but I ignored everything and stayed focused on getting to the thrush tree until I found a Black-cheeked Woody not far above my head chipping away at a palm.  I don't see these guys as often as many others so I was compelled to stop and get some shots.
I couldn't find the bird in the area I saw them last night; but a few hundred feet down the road, I found what appeared to be four of them. They would fly into the clusters of palm fruit, then fly back into a leafy tree. I remembered that I saw groups of these before and couldn't ID them then either.  They were in Kennedy Loop last time also.  I don't remember when I saw them  and I dropped the computer that had the pictures on it's head and killed it.  The pictures were bad, but not as bad as yesterdays because the palm they were in last time was half the height of the one they're currently in. They would stay in the fruit clusters and eat, but would fly off if I got them in the binoculars.  They are shy birds.  When I go home at the end of May, I will pull my old photos off my old computer and find the photos I'd taken before.

I still couldn't get good views today.  The sky was glary-white, the fruit is about 80 feet up and the birds flew off when they saw me looking. Also, it was so steamy my glasses kept fogging.  I'd clean them, but as soon as I got the binoculars up, they'd steam again. Frustrating, especially when I had the bird in the bins for a few seconds before it flew off.  The birds left and I continued my walk. 
I heard a racket in a tree whose boughs hang over the road and saw the boughs moving. Three Thick-billed Euphonias were arguing.  Suddenly, two of them flew out of the tree and all I saw was a ball of feathers in the air.  It dropped to the ground with an audible thunk and then the two birds flew in different directions.  My impression was two females, but there was an immature male in the tree and it was so fast I'm not sure who it was.
Today was Red-eyed Vireo day.  I don't know if it was one flock circling the loop, or if there were several small flocks in different areas.  Each flock was about 5 or 6 and I saw them in three locations on the loop. Heard what sounded like a Dove. I haven't heard this one before; Boe---Boe(ah).
The rest of the walk was the usual suspects except for Summer and Scarlet Tanagers and big swifts. The swifts went over the tree tops before I could get them in my binoculars--must have been White-collared going by the size.
I managed a distant shot of Spotty, the winter resident Spotted Sandpiper who has just acquired his spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment