A Couple of Euphonias and Round Two for the Kiskadees

Went out at 9:15, returned 10:45  Zero to 3 knots of wind. 100% high, grey cloud cover.  The rain gauge had 1.7/10 inches rain from previous morning.

I birded for an hour and a half before I got 'rained out'  It really was only a sprinkle, but it was enough to threaten my camera and get my clothes wet.  Since it was obvious when I left that rain was imminent, I stayed close and went over to the hard-stand area.
I checked in on the Greast Kiskadee family who just fledged the last clutch on April 9.  Their nest was removed from the anchor on Ishmael, but they started a new one. The owners of Ishmael are planning to cruise the San Blas Islands soon, so I removed the new nesting material before it became another nest and covered the anchor with a plastic bag to keep them off. They moved next door to the yacht, Flying Scud, which has absentee owners for the most part. I was a bit surprised to see a pair of Social Flycatchers on the lifelines checking out the accomodations. I heard soft churring in the nest and thought, "They can't have eggs, they're still building the nest!" They made that churring with the little ones last batch. Maybe this was a little domestic humming? A nest building song?  A Great Kiskadee popped out of the nest, dropped altitude, and flew low over the water to the shore.  Another Great Kiskadee with building material in his bill, chased off the Socials and perched near the nest, waiting for me to leave, which I did.
The usual Gray-breasted Martins and Great-tailed Grackles flew overhead as I walked the dock. In the front of the complex, Barn Swallows swirled over the lawn and three very young Great-tailed Grackles walked together, practicing their bug listening skills; heads tilted to the earth. Tropical Kingbirds called from their perch on the chain-link fence around the trash bins. I entered the shrubby area which was active and I didn't know where to look first. I had enough time to walk around the hard-stand and double back.  The rest of today's list:
House wrens
Panama Flycatchers
Something greyish flew into the understory--Catbird?
Variable Seedeater
Thick-billed Euphonias
Red-crowned Woodpecker
Yellow Warbler
Black-striped Sparrow
Fulvous-vented Euphonias
Black Vultures
Red-legged Honeycreepers
Blue-gray Tanagers
Streaked Flycatcher
Common Tody-flycatcher
Northern Waterthrush
Mammals: feral cat and a two-toed sloth.
Beautiful Two-toed Sloth dozing.
There are lots of little LBJ's in Panama. I was sooo lost when I first arrived! Here are a couple of  'girls' that can be confusing until you become familiar. Lighting, angle and speed can make it hard in the field at first. 
Female Thick-billed Euphonia
No 'Fulvous' on the forehead and undertail coverts.  Fulvous?;)  Olive on the nape, mantle and wings.
Female Fulvous-vented Euphonia 
(Above)At this angle, you really don't see the rufous forehead and undertail coverts, but the mantle is a blue gray rather than olive. The picture below is crappy, but I've posted it to show the underside of the female Fulvous-vented.
The males are easy!
Male Fulvous-vented Euphonia. Black bib and rufous on belly and undertail coverts.
There are two other black-bibbed male euphonias listed for San Lorenzo; White-vented and Yellow-crowned which I haven't seen here and don't have photos of. I saw the Yellow-crowned at the Linton anchorage and got a photo, but that computer is dead and I haven't retrieved my photos yet.
No bib. Male Thick-billed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment