November 28, 2011 Species List Walk

I know it's just a Tropical Kingbird, but I liked the photo, and I am the writer, editor and publisher.

Went out today from 1:00 to 5:00p.m. and only got rained on twice.  I took the little recorder I bought years ago but couldn't figure out how to work to make notes of all the species I saw.  It's too much to try and take out a notepad and pencil everytime I see a bird, but it's easy to push a button and say a word.  I am not proficient with the recorder, but I muddled through. It was another slow day in the jungle.  I don't understand why.  You would think that with the rains, sometimes heavy, during the night and sporadically during the day, that the birds would be out feasting when it is clear.
Today's List:
Black Vulture
Short-tailed Swift
Turkey Vulture
Common Tody Flycatcher
Keel-billed Toucan
Social Flycatcher
Red-crowned Woodpecker
Orange-chinned Parakeet
Tropical Kingbird
Great Kiskadee
Palm Warbler-- First I've seen since last year.  I expect that the lawns around the marina will soon be covered with them again.
Great-tailed Grackle
Yellow-headed Caracara
Clay-colored Thrush
Palm Tanager
Rusty Margined Flycatcher(heard)
Tropical Mockingbird
Blue-Gray Tanager
Streaked Flycatcher
Common Black-hawk
Cocoa Woodcreeper
wing snapping of Manakins
Plain-colored Tanager
Bay-breasted Warbler?
Summer Tanager
Boat-billed Flycatcher
Magnificent Frigatebird
White-tailed Trogan (heard)
Slaty Antshrike
Spotted Sandpiper
Indigo Bunting
Gray-breasted Martin
White-tipped Dove
Smooth-billed Ani
Greater Ani
Variable Seed-eater
Baltimore Oriole
Lineated Woodpecker
Lesser Elaenia
Royal Tern
Blue Grosbeak
American Kestrel
House Wren
Rose-breasted Grosbeak

The recorder worked pretty well once I got the hang of it. I hope to be part of the Christmas count this year and I will use the recorder rather than writing the list.  Things happen too fast around here at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment