Laughing Falcon Again

Went to Kennedy and Toro Point again today.  I wanted to find the Laughing Falcon again and get some photos.  I got some yesterday, but he was in the shadows and the photos were bad.  I found him today and he was perched farther away, but the light was decent.  I got a few ok shots.  I posted one on yesterday's post and saved the good one for today's. 
The fierce, snake killing raptor!  Doesn't he look like he was painted by an Italian Renaissance artist? The scientific name for this bird is Herpetotheres cachinnans.  I think Falco rafaelii or Falco cherubinii would be a better name. ;)  My 'favorite' birds are the White and/or Sulfur-crested Cockatoos mainly because of their soulful eyes, but this guy is threatening the status-quo. 
Laughing Falcons are 18-22 inches tall.  Their feet and legs are heavily scaled to protect them against poisons snakes.  They fall upon snakes or lizards and grab them from behind the neck, sometimes they bite the head off.  They are not really very common in Panama and even less so in my area. 
Beach on Toro Point
I also went to Toro Point today. I've only been there about half a dozen times, but since I saw the Peregrine I've been back a few times this month.  The tide was out so I walked on the beach.  I saw 3 or 4 Semi-palmated Sandpipers, a Spotted Sandpiper, 2 Willets, a Great Egret, the usual bunch of Royal Terns, a small flock of Black-bellied Plovers out on the reefs and an Osprey, Laughing Gull and  Frigatebird over Limon Bay.
Black-bellied Plovers out on a reef.
Royal Terns
Tern photos were taken on a different day.

No comments:

Post a Comment