Gray-headed Kite and better photos of the Blackpoll Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler
It's raining now, but it was a nice morning and I birded from 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
I refound the Blackpoll and took some better photos.  It was still distant but the light was much better this morning.  There was only one Blackpoll so I would guess that yesterday, whatever was jumping around on the other side of the creek was not another Blackpoll.  The Yellow Warbler was still hanging out with the Blackpoll.
I walked to the little river at the entrance to San Lorenzo National Forest and saw most of the usual birds.
Yesterday and again today, I saw Black-throated Trogons.  I don't see them as often as the Slaty-tailed and White-tailed.
Weird fungus on the shoulder of San Lorenzo road.
I walked down the Playa Diablo path to the beach. On the way back, the unmistakable whirr of a hummingbird came close from behind me.  I turned to see a beautiful Hummer.  It appeared to be slender and two-toned green and dark blue, with the normal white area around the top of the legs. It visited some trumpet shaped flowers at the side of the path and was quickly gone. I think it was a Crowned Woodnymph, but I am not sure enough to put it on my Life List.  I will go back and hopefully it will visit the flowers again.

Back out on San Lorenzo Road,  I stopped at one of the many creeks and peered into the forest. I scanned the trees above the water for a Potoo.  Actually, I'm always scanning for one, even if it's sub-consciously. ;) .  Through the corner of my eye, I saw a bird land on a tree about 10 feet down the road and about 20 feet in.  It was fairly high in the tree.  I saw the underside of the tail first and thought it looked spotted and cuckoo-like (it was spread a little when I first saw it because the bird had just landed). I walked down the road a bit and tried to find it and couldn't. I walked back to the original spot, found it and took better markers---back down the road, and got a good view of the whole bird--a Raptor! A delicate Raptor. It almost looked dove-like except for the bill which was definitely a Kite. Back aboard Peregrine it was an easy ID--Gray-headed Kite. Lifer #920 I was able to get a photo, but it isn't very good.  The bird was fairly far into the trees and it wasn't light enough to get a good shot.  It was a great way to end a very nice day in paradise.
Gray-headed Kite

No comments:

Post a Comment