Butterflies of Fort Sherman/San Lorenzo Panama

Most of these butterflies have been seen in the Fort Sherman/San Lorenzo area of Panama. The few exceptions for locale are noted on the photograph. If anybody sees errors, or knows what the 'unknowns' are, please leave a comment. Thanks in advance for any help. Click on photos to enlarge.
Another unknown Hairstreak
Sesostris Cattleheart
Unidentified Moth
Unknown
Unknown Skipper
Lasaia sp.  I thought it was a Lasaia arsis (Cat's Eye Sapphire), but that species is not supposed to be in Panama. The Lasaia sp I could find for Panama didn't have the 'eye'. It's a start on ID though. Terrible photo but I thought I'd post it anyway because it's such a neat butterfly.
Found on Pipeline Road, Gamboa, Panama
Unknown
Orange-patched Crescent
Found it was a crescent from Glyn's blog--thanks again Glyn. 
Unknown. Parque Metropolitano, Panama City
Unidentified moth
Banded Orange Heliconia
White Swallowtail
An Adelpha (sister) butterfly. My call is Adelpha fessonia; Band-celled Sister.
Above:
Rhetus arcius
San Lorenzo National Park
Panama
Red Washed Satyr
Pierella helvina ocreata
San Lorenzo National Park
Panama
Unknown Moth
San Lorenzo National Park
Panama
Couldn't find an ID for the Hairstreak in the three photos above.
Fritillary.  The closest I found was Gulf Fritillary, but it seemed a bit different because the images I found didn't have the wavy black lines next to the black dots with the white spot in them.
Black-banded White
Zebra-striped Hairstreak. It's about the size of a quarter. I saw flashes of electric blue when the wings opened but I'm not sure how extensive the blue was.  You can see the color in the last photo where it is barely showing on the back of the butterfly.
A large, fat caterpillar.
I took this photo on Oct. 7, 2011 and April 28, 2012 finally got the ID. Well, sort of. While out exploring with Madame Butterfly (Glyn on Dignity) she mentioned she had gotten the ID on this; it wasn't a large 'skipper' as I had thought, but a moth. I went to her blog
and looked it up:  Castniomera atymnius
Now, the down side.  I don't know which ssp. At first I thought is was drucei, over futilis because the photos I researched had the drucei white patch on the hindwings coming all the way to the edge of the wing (forming a 'v'), while the futilis photos seemed to have a smaller patch of white that didn't go to the edge. I realize that when googling images, many are mismarked as I find that all the time with birds, so my unscientific googling is just a start. I went to wikipedia and found that drucei was not listed as being in Panama. The only ssp I could find in Panama were:  futilis and newmanni
I will leave the ID at Castniomera atymnius and leave anyone else searching for ID to go from there.
Thanks, Glyn.  Update:  Below another Castiniomera found April 14, 2012. Notice the spots on the forewing. Maybe the specimen posted above was just worn or it's sexual dimorphism??
Sara Longwing
Variable Cracker or Gray Cracker?
Malachite
I have told you about the giant, electric blue Morphos butterflies that 'bounce' around in the forest.  I think I told you to google them because I couldn't get an image and had never seen one land.  I have seen two of them land since being back in Fort Sherman.  Yesterday I was able to get some good shots of one, but only with the wings closed.  It landed on the asphalt of the San Lorenzo road where some fruit had fallen and it was eating.  It opened it's wing a few times, but every time I tried to catch it with the camera, its wings were already shut! On one of the photos, you can see a sliver of blue and it will give you an idea of their color. There are about six inches across and even though I see them everytime I'm out, I still am amazed at their beauty. 
Here is a 14 second video I took of a Blue Morphos Butterfly. The wingspan is 5 to 6 inches. It's big and beautiful:   


Above is another butterfly I found in the dark understory.  I think it is a Ringlet Euptychia of some sort.
Little Banner
An Alana or a Veined White-skipper?
Tropical Checkered Skipper (above)
I have identified the above as either Euptychia mollis.
The best I could do with this one is a Metalmark of the Detritivora species. Apparently there are a lot of ssp. I couldn't find an image exactly like mine.
Urania Swallowtail Moth
White Peacock
Banded Peacock
Monarch
Variable Cracker
Red Passion Flower Butterfly
Heliconius erato
Common Buckeye
Thoas Swallowtail
Don't know yet.
Tiger Longwing
Heliconius hecale melicerta
Pierella Luna Luna
Moon Satyr

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sue,

    Amazing set of butterfly photos.Especially like the video of the Blue Morpho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you very much, Darrell.
      Sue

      Delete
  2. Wow Sue, what amazing butterflies and fantastic photos. I am afraid that I have failed miserably trying to identify any for you. I have a guide to the Butterflies of the West Indies and a Guide to Butterflies of North America, but couldn't find any of the unidentified ones in those. I guess they may be South American species. My dad has a book on Butterflies of Southern America, so I will borrow it the next time I go down to see him.
    I would love to go somewhere where there are butterflies like those.
    I remember your post on a bird forum asking about three butterflies you saw in St Lucia. I think I can id those ones! You commented that you saw a lot of butterflies there. I have not had any luck getting any information from anyone about butterflies that occur there. Do you remember if you saw many butterflies on St Lucia? I am trying to get some sort of idea of what I am likely to see!!
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nick,
      I do remember seeing all kinds of fluttering in St. Lucia. I also remember thinking that a butterfly enthusiast would love it, but keep in mind, I had just come from places that really aren't that rich in butterlies so maybe it seemed more lively to me than you will find it. I don't know if some months are better than others either.I have posted a St. Lucia butterfly post here on the blog with as many photos as I could find. Unfortunately, my old computer crashed and I am unable to access all my photos. Also, birds are my focus and until I got to Panama, I really didn't spend too much time photographing and identifying butterflies.
      Thanks for the kind words and the attempt to ID. I hope you have a great time in St. Lucia.
      Sue

      Delete