The Little Tyrants of Fort Sherman

October 6, 20011
click on the photos to enlarge
 It is not always easy to see the little guys in the forest. Many times they are up in the canopy and if there is cloud cover I often can't see anything but white glare. I have only knowingly seen the Paltry Tyrannulet (Zimmerius vilissimus) twice. The bird is also known as the Misletoe Tyrannulet, which I think is a much nicer name.  It is only four inches long, has pale irises and no wing-bars so ID is not as difficult as many of the Tyrants can be. I think the MISTLETOE Tyrannulet is a beautiful little bird and I was so happy to get these shots.  It was weird that so many of the flycatchers I saw on the day I got this shot (October 2, 2011) had their tail feathers spread, sure made a pretty picture.
Another tiny tyrant is the Ruddy-tailed Flycatcher. I was out fairly early this morning and got a few shots of one.  This guy is only about three and a half inches long and his coloration makes for another easy ID.  I got Lifer #900 today! It was another small flycatcher--Olivaceous Flatbill.  At six inches he's a bit bigger.  I saw him well but was unable to get a good shot due to lighting, sometimes it's just too dark in the forest for good shot.
 Ruddy-tailed Flycatcher, an apt name.
All the birds mentioned in this post were found on the San Lorenzo Road in the Fort Sherman area of Central Panama.

No comments:

Post a Comment