Panama: Yellow-billed Cuckoo and Ochre-bellied Flycatcher

October 10, 2011
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
I may have decided not to list the Alder Flycatcher, but I had no problem listing two other the lifers on Oct. 9th.  The Yellow-billed Cuckoo was especially sweet because I saw a glimpse of one in 2008 while on a guided bird walk in Arkansas.  Three new birds were pointed out to me on the walk and I decided not to add them to my list.  All were fleeting views pointed out by the guide.  I didn't feel right about listing them. They were a Little Blue Heron, Prothonotary Warbler and the Yellow-billed Cuckoo.  I have all three now. The heron and warbler many times over but first seen in St. Lucia and Panama, respectively.

Ochre-bellied Flycatcher
The other lifer was an Ochre-bellied Flycatcher. I had seen it on several occasions last week.  Each time, I thought, "What was that?"  I convinced myself it was a female White-shouldered Tanager, even though the little voice kept saying, 'That was not a Tanager."  The last sighting, I had great views and enough time for a few lousy photos. I thought at first it was a thrush of some kind.  Just when you start to feel cocky about your id skills with this hobby, you get a comeuppance. It really didn't take long to ID when I got back aboard Peregrine, but I was a bit confused about it for a short time.

No comments:

Post a Comment