Panama: A Few Wood-Warblers

October 24, 2011
Bay-breasted Warbler in beach scrub.
Bay-breasted Warbler grazing in the grass near the hard-stand area of Shelter Bay Marina
The Empids continue to be seen and be silent and I have come to grips with the fact that I will probably not be able to add them to my life list.  As if to compensate, the forest spirits have delivered up some easy warbler sightings.  Most of the time the warblers are high in the canopy, behind leaves, buzzing around at light speed with the sun or an eye killing whited-out sky behind them.  Today, they were foraging on the ground in the of best viewing conditions.
Blackburnian hunting on the ground near the beach.
I'm not sure Mother Nature felt sorry for me because I'm covered in Mozzie and chigger bites, or because I'm running on two pints less blood than I should have, or that I'm sluggish from the anti-histamines I'm taking to keep from clawing myself to death.  Whatever the reason, I will gladly take the gift of the ground foraging Bay-breasted, Blackburnian and  Mourning Warblers.  Mourning is lifer #910 for me. I've only seen a Blackburnian once and that was a male in breeding plumage, so I didn't know what this was when I saw him foraging with a flock of Indigo Buntings.  I did think it was strange to see a warbler like that on the ground, just like I thought is was weird to see the Bay-breasted on the ground about twenty minutes before.
One warbler that isn't weird to see on the ground;  Northern Waterthrush.


On the 25th, I was on the beach and got a few better shots of the Bay-breasted. I don't know why, but it seemed strange to be standing on the sand and getting pictures of this Warbler. It went down to the vines in the sand and then up a few feet into the tangled shrubs. Also in the shrubs on the beach were a Yellow-billed cuckoo, and an  Empid.

No comments:

Post a Comment